Sunday 18 December 2011

Lord of your home?

O Antiphons - Day 2 (18th December) - O Adonai



O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.

The antiphon for the day is:


O Adonai, and leader of the House of Israel,
who appeared to Moses in the fire of the burning bush
and gave him the law on Sinai:
Come and redeem us with an outstretched arm.

We had our carol service tonight. It was beautiful. The choir sang a beautiful lullaby written by John Rutter.

Also in the service, the vicar (Paul) asked a very painful question, "How would your home look if it was under the gentle rule of Jesus?"

Ouch!

Well, I confess that my home does not always confess that Jesus is Lord. Sorry. My life is all too often about creeds and liturgy, rather than a life lived with Jesus as my personal Lord.

Jesus' claim of Lordship over my life is not based on frippery and flaky philosophy, but as a consequence of his true nature. We see Jesus in the burning bush - see Jesus giving Moses the law on Sinai. Lordship based on holiness and righteousness. The Jesus we worship as a babe is also, and is eternally, the Lord of all.

Once again I am driven to admit that I do not trust Jesus enough. Yes - Jesus is my saviour.

But the challenge in Advent, as we look to his return - a return that might come tomorrow - is Jesus my Lord? Is he yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment