Sunday 18 December 2011

Jesus our wisdom

O Antiphons - Day 1 (17th December) - O Sapientia

Jesus is somewhat mystically described as our wisdom...in Veni Veni Emmanuel the verse says:



O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.


The antiphon is:



O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
reaching from one end to the other mightily,
and sweetly ordering all things:
Come and teach us the way of prudence.



Let me say now...I am quite a stupid person. Sure I'm fairly well read, intelligent by most standards, and a graduate from a top university, but I am prone to making some stupid decisions. Sometimes I'm daft because I'm motivated by sin, sometimes lack of energy, sometimes because I didn't think things through...

During Advent I am forced to conclude that I am desperately needful of God's wisdom. I am also forced to conclude that I am desperately forgetful of this need. Jesus comes to bring fulness of life and this includes wisdom and insight. We get some of this wisdom by reading his Word, but also from His Spirit dwelling with us. We must also conclude that when we read Jesus' teaching we are struck by his clarity of thought, insight, and wisdom.

Another thought to consider is the way the Bible refers to wisdom as part of the creative process. Wisdom was present at creation. Jesus is wisdom, and we read in Colossians that He created the world. Scientific knowledge demonstrates how amazingly intricate and astonishing the natural world is - how utterly awe-inspiring it is - and Jesus thought it all up. The baby in the manger thought up everything.

But how often do we marginalise this aspect of Christ's nature? Do we really understand that nothing and noone offers more wisdom than Jesus?

32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
watching daily at my doors,
waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
and receive favor from the LORD.
36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
all who hate me love death.” (Proverbs 8:32-36)

Prayer:
Father God, this Advent and Christmas give me the desire to turn to you for wisdom, for insight, for guidance in all matters of life. Help me do this daily, for by turning to you each day Lord we will be ever mindful of your return. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment