Wednesday 15 June 2011

Deciphering poetry in Hymns

Growing up I attended the local, popular Baptist church. While there were some modern choruses, the bulk of the service was taken up singing Hymns, accompanied by an impressive organ. That little green book...I can still visualise it, smell it, even the feel of the pages!

Since then I have become far more 'modern' in the style of worship I prefer and lead.

Nevertheless, I care for the theology we sing and many of the old hymns contain a more thoroughgoing appreciation of God, His character and activity than many of the more subjective reflective ditties composed today. (That's not to say we shouldn't use sung worship as an opportunity to connect head and heart, to seek God with our emotions!)

However, and this is a big however, I do think some of the language used in hymns can be quite obtuse. So today I'm making a request - I'd love to hear what people think about one of my favourite hymns, 'O Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness'.

Some of the language seems obscure, almost non-sensical (as this amusing reflection on the hymn contends). There is a poetic license employed, but we surely need to understand what we sing?

So... here's the hymn

O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness!
Bow down before Him, His glory proclaim;
With gold of obedience, and incense of lowliness,
Kneel and adore Him: the Lord is His Name!

Low at His feet lay thy burden of carefulness,
High on His heart He will bear it for thee,
And comfort thy sorrows, and answer thy prayerfulness,
Guiding thy steps as may best for thee be.

Fear not to enter His courts in the slenderness
Of the poor wealth thou wouldst reckon as thine
;
For truth in its beauty, and love in its tenderness,
These are the offerings to lay on His shrine.

These, though we bring them in trembling and fearfulness,
He will accept for the Name that is dear;
Mornings of joy give for evenings of tearfulness,
Trust for our trembling and hope for our fear.

O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness!
Bow down before Him, His glory proclaim;
With gold of obedience, and incense of lowliness,
Kneel and adore Him: the Lord is His Name!

In particular I've highlighted the bits I'm a bit cagey on. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Like you I grew up with the Baptist Hymn Book, and despite considering myself an atheist nowadays, I am still very fond of its contents. I find modern worship songs contrived, insipid and commercial, but the beautiful poetry and rousing tunes of old hymns still have the power to move me. It surprises me how their lyrics are still embedded in my mind.

    I understand an argument for no longer using these hymns in worship is that their archaic language and imagary are difficult to understand. Yet I sang these hymns from the age I was able to sing, and as a child I never found them baffling or obstructive. I found them insightful, joyful and comforting. Even now I can remember that Hymn no. 18 was "Now thank we all our God" and was my childhood favourite above all other more simplistic choruses.

    With regards to interpreting the above hymn:
    "O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness" - I would suggest this refers to reflected holiness. The beauty of God's holiness is reflected onto those who worship him
    "Fear not to enter His courts in the slenderness
    Of the poor wealth thou wouldst reckon as thine" - ignore the break in the line and read this as one whole sentence. Roughly translated, "don't be afraid to enter God's presence because you think you have 'slender wealth' or very little", the line continues to comfort stating that truth and love are the offerings God desires, not wealth.
    "Mornings of joy give for evenings of tearfulness" - the whole range of human emotion condensed into one line and poetically one day, God will accept your worship whichever mood and provide comfort.
    So essentially, whatever your mood and whatever your worldy wealth, approach God with humility and obedience, truth and love, and you will bask in his reflected holiness receiving comfort and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addendum after reading your link to the hypnotist's interpretation; clearly a man who would find Keats greatly peturbing.

    The Bible itself uses what Mr Wingett terms "nominalizations" to help people understand the value of abstract concepts. See Ephesians 6: 10-17 where abstract concepts such as truth and righteousness are ascribed defensive properties. We all use metaphors every day as our only means of interpreting abstract concepts. If it's good enough for the Bible why shouldn't a hymn writer use this technique to re-assure poor people that they don't require the expensive trappings of the high church to worship their God. The lyrics are theologically very important, they state the principle set out in the reformation that an individual can approach God directly without requiring an intermediary. No need for smells, bells and golden chalices, let obedience be your gold and lowliness your incense. The emphasis is on a personal, sincere relationship with God, a move away from all the trappings of formal church service. I would argue that the sentiment in this hymn is as subjective and emotional as you can get, simply expressed with a stiff upper lip.

    Possibly the author, Monsell, would spin in his grave at my interpretation, as I have googled him and he was very high church, a member of the Oxford movement.

    ReplyDelete