Saturday 11 June 2011

Countdown to Pentecost - Day 8 of 9 - GENTLENESS

"Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is at hand" (Philippians 4:5)


I am a deeply ungentle person. I often speak harshly, have a brash exterior and can come across as a super-confident, funny and self-assured person. I do not think I display much gentleness!

Having considered all that has come before, gentleness is not about being weak or wet, rather it is the natural conclusion of a life that is lived in reference to God's character and activity. When we acknowledge the love that drove God to give his Son, that we might know the joy of his presence forever as we have peace with him and one another, and in turn marvel at his patient waiting for all to come to him, an act of such kindness...well surely we must bow in worship and confess our unworthiness.

Gentleness is often translated as humility, or meekness.

Ah...meekness. Immediately one thinks of the insipid phrase, 'Jesus meek and mild'...tosh! Well, in os much as this paints a picture of a lip-wristed and woolly Jesus, one who is not assertive or energetic.

However, Jesus himself speaks of the beatitude of meekness. When we think of the blessed attributes (be-attitudes) we (much like the fruit) should think of them progressively (and all encompassing). We are poor in spirit when we acknowledge our need of forgiveness, which in turn leads to a state of mourning (for our sin), and so to meekness, those who'll INHERIT THE EARTH (Matthew 5:5).

Meekness here refers to our humility and trust of God.

This clashes most profoundly with power, and our attempts to control our life.

As I look at my life I can think of lots of ways I assert myself: I am ambitious, I used to gossip at work (which shows a degree of control as I know things about people), I have often withheld information at work as a way of maintaining control/power, and there have been occasions when I have deliberately left my mug to be washed by others when it was never part of their role, but I sought to feel powerful. I should also admit that my lateness is not only discourteous, but perhaps an attempt to feel important (see how they waited for me!!). This desire for control makes me selfish.

Paul speaks of gentleness as like a 'nurse with a child' (1 Thessalonians 2:7). The image is clear we are completely and totally given over to the needs of another.

So then...how might gentleness be seen more in my life?
- Do I actively put my wife's needs before my own? I am deeply challenged when I read Paul's command to "do nothing out of selfish ambition" but put everyone's needs before my own (Phil 2:3). There should be a moment each day where I simply ask myself - am I pushing myself forward, or am I serving others?
- Do I have violent thoughts? Yes - especially on the road. I need to develop a spirit of servanthood on the road - always help other drivers, bear with their mistakes...
- What of my witness? Peter asks that we deliver our testimony in a spirit of gentleness (1 Peter 3:16). This is so difficult - we need to offer people our witness in a way that makes it clear it is done caring for them, putting them first.
- Do I talk gently or do I stir up arguments? Hmmm...

So as we draw closer to Pentecost I am struck that my life needs so much more of the Spirit to help these attitudes develop. Of course, the Spirit also comes that I might better imitate Jesus who is our example par excellence.

Consider this - Jesus, who turned over the money-changers tables, making a whip to do this, who railed at the Pharisees, this Jesus describes himself as "gentle and humble of heart" (Matt. 11:29).

We are called to follow our Lord. Come Spirit and help me cling more to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment