Tuesday 20 November 2012

Pray for the House of Laity

I am personally distressed and upset for the hundreds of female clergy who have felt their vocation somehow undermined by tonight's General Synod vote. You can read about the outcome here.

It's fair to say that as I listened to the live stream of the results I was frustrated and angry at what seemed to be such a stupid decision...and I let my emotions get the better of me; I tweeted:

And I'm not alone. In fact, as I've followed the #synod hashtag this evening the vast majority of those commenting are disappointed, for a whole range of issues.

However, I don't want to offer any particular analysis for now. I think lots of anger has been expressed, including from me.

But one comment on Twitter did make me stop, and that was that we need to love the House of Laity more, not less right now. Very true.

As I sat to prepare myself for cell tonight, I completed the Evening Office, which at this time of the year (All Saints to Advent) is the last season and is so positioned as to be adjacent to the additional material for daily prayer, which includes PRAYERS FOR THE UNITY OF THE CHURCH.

Ouch!

But I felt compelled to pray them.

Ouch!

I think it is incredibly important the church is somehow able to remember that we are one in Christ, despite our differences, and that we must seek for all that builds our unity...to be peacemakers.

Of course, we often say that when we have mild disagreements, or the decisions we need to make are somehow notional or far off...

Tonight's decision is very present, very real, and very sad.

Which is why we must not rely on ourselves, but turn to God, asking him to help us.

Here's the opening prayer...maybe you would join me in praying it?

O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
our only Saviour, the Prince of Peace:
give us grace seriously to lay to heart
the great dangers we are in by our unhappy divisions.
Take away all hatred and prejudice,
and whatever else may hinder us
from godly union and concord;
that, as there is but one body and one Spirit,
one hope of our calling,
one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father of us all,
so we may henceforth be all of one heart and of one soul,
united in one holy bond of peace, of faith and charity,
and may with one mind and one mouth glorify you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment