Tuesday 10 August 2010

Journaling

I have been keeping a journal for many years, since I was about 14 years old. It has formed an invaluable place to record events in my life, record my feelings, and reflect on where I'm at. One thing I'm mindful of at present, is the general lack of spiritual content.

At the same time, I have received very little actual advice on how to journal.

To that end I've searched a little online and found a good rubric - SOAP - which has immediately helped me recognise how I should journal as a Christian. In part it is about recording what God has been saying to me, specifically in scripture, but I wonder also the degree to which I should be attentive to the changes in behaviour. Like observational scientists, sometimes it is true that a person who doesn't see themself and especially those 'sin triggers', they are more likely to repeat.

As I step forward with my journaling, I also recognise that there is an inevitable time commitment to recording more than just facts!

Prayer:
Father, I ask that you would help me learn to journal with more of an eye for what you are syaing, what you are doing, and what I am being called to do in service of you and others. I ask that as I journal you would stir me to action, walking each day with a deeper sense of my discipleship. Let me in all things attend to your voice, and may my childlike devotion be pleasing to You, my Lord, My Father, My God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment