Sunday 23 May 2010

Streams of Living Water

Have finally picked up 'Streams of Living Water' by Richard Foster today - a steal from church for 50p. Am delighted to have the chance to read it.

Already I've been challenged.

To what extent, day by day, do I allow my reading and meditation of Jesus' life in the gospels to affect my day-to-day walk:

"We are, to be sure, reconciled to God by Jesus' death, but even more [!], we are 'saved' by his life (Rom. 5:10) - saved in the sense of entering into his eternal kind of life, not just in some distant heaven but right now in the midst of our broken and sorrowful world." [italics original] (Foster 1998, p.3)

One of the formation questions Foster suggests we use is about our encountering Jesus in scripture. I have often thought on the simple song "all of the Bible has Jesus in it" as the framework for this question, but perhaps I am too naive and slow-to-learn to commence answering this question - or seeking to find an answer - without first learning to place a premium on time spent reading the gospels to see what Jesus was like and how I can imitate his life to find freedom in my own. I love this idea that in imitation I can be 'saved' in this life - reminds me of Psalm 103.

As I continue to read this book, I will devote more time to the Lectionary readings that place me in the gospels. And I will ask - how should I shape my life to better imitate Jesus.

REFERENCES
Foster, R. (1998) Streams of Living Water. London: Harper Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment