Thursday 8 April 2010

Seeing compassion

It is not very often I read all three readings at an office and find clear links, but this evening's Evening Prayer has three wonderful post-Easter passages.

Firstly, we are reminded of Phinehas (Ps. 106:30), who features in the book of Numbers. Just as God is calling the Israellites to a life of godliness, to come apart from others, there is sexual immorality with the women of Moab (Num. 25:1). Now I'm not going to launch into a detailed diatribe against sexual immorality. The purpose of the reference to Phinehas' story (Num. 25:1-13) in Psalms is as one who "interceded".

I've never thought of intercession as something we do, so much as something we pray. But perhaps this verse is a challenge. Do I love God enough and has he so transformed my life, and am I gripped by his love for me and the world, that I understand as I pray how I am the answer to my prayer. Or in this case, that I am the answer to God's will.

Solomon in Song of Songs (another book that has much to say about sexuality!) writes words for his wife:
"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" (SoS 6:3)

Crunch time - do I honestly know that I am my beloveds? Do I believe that God loves me? Where is evidence of God's love?

We see it in Jesus - who died for us. But also in his life. The widow's son at Nain experienced his compassion:

"When the Lord saw her, he had compassion for her and said to her "Do not weep." (Luke 7:13)

As strange as this may sound, I don't think we act as outrageously, as Phinehas does, because we do not know the real depth of God's compassion for us. Compassion means: feeling of distress and pity for the suffering or misfortune of another. Jesus had compassion for this woman. God has compassion on us; on me. The Psalmist is recounting God's saving faithfulness - which is matched by Israel's unfaithfulness.

Today, am I aware that the cross and resurrection is born out of God's great and wonderful compassion for us. Do I know that this compassion springs up from his love. And that when we truly know this love, our lives will become intercessions for others to know this.

No comments:

Post a Comment